3. Irregular Heart Rhythm
Another symptom of low magnesium levels is an irregular heart beat. The reason is because it’s this particular mineral that’s vital for the proper functioning of the cardiovascular system, as it regulates heart activity, along with ensuring proper blood circulation in the body. Magnesium also helps in the transportation of calcium and potassium ions across all cell membranes, which is important for normal heart rhythm.
2. Getting Frequent Migraine Headaches
If you’re prone to getting frequent migraine headaches, then the cause might be a magnesium deficiency. It’s been found in various studies for those who gets migraines routinely, that one of the causes of getting them, or headaches in general, is low magnesium levels in the brain, which plays a key factor in its development and activation.
1. Muscle Cramps And Spasms
Constant muscle cramping and spasms are common symptoms of magnesium deficiency, as it plays a vital role in muscle health. What it does is stimulates calcium re-uptake, which maintains stronger muscles. It also increases potassium absorption, while helping in reducing muscle pain, this by blocking out the pain receptors in the brain and nervous system. So if you get frequent muscle cramps, then check your magnesium levels. Eye twitching is also a cause of magnesium deficiency.
How To Increase Magnesium Levels
• The preferred method is a healthy diet. Magnesium rich foods includes almonds, avocados, beans, bananas, tofu, soy milk, nuts, potato skin, yogurt, green leafy vegetables, and whole grains
• Taking an Epsom salt bath several times a week, is known to help in maintaining normal magnesium levels in the body
• Magnesium supplements are recommended, but under doctor supervision, this especially for those experiencing heart or kidney disease, or those on certain medication which may cause a conflict
• Medication which can reduce magnesium levels include birth control pills, hypertension, diuretics, antibiotics, or insulin medication. Excessive sweating from exercise can also deplete magnesium
• Limit intake of caffeine, soda, sugar, salt, and alcohol beverages